- Friedrich Schiller University
Research Associate, Historisches Institut, then Seminar für Orientalistik, since May 2018
- Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran
Department of Law, Theology, and Political Science, since Oct 2016
- Zentrum Moderner Orient
Visiting scholar, Apr 2016 – Aug 2016
- Berlin Graduate School for Muslim Cultures and Societies
Visiting scholar, Aug 2015 – Mar 2016
- Freie Universität Berlin, DE
Visiting scholar, Centre for Middle Eastern and North African Politics Department of Political Science, Aug 2014 – Jul 2015.
- Leiden University, NL
Visiting Senior Lecturer, School of Middle Eastern Studies, 2011–2014.
- University of Amsterdam, NL
Visiting Researcher, Workgroup Civil Society in West Asia, Department of Political Science, 2009–2010.
- Mofid University, IR
Senior Lecturer, Department of Political Science, 2005–2010.
- Institute for National Studies, IR
Director, Department of Political Culture Studies, 2004–2005.
- Research Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences, IR
Associate Director and Faculty Member, Political Science Faculty, 2002–2003.
- Ph.D. Research Institute for the Humanities and Cultural Studies, Political Science (Cum Laude), Apr 2005
Primary Fields: Middle East Politics (Distinction), Political Theories (Distinction), Intellectual History (Distinction)
Designated Emphasis: Comparative Political Hermeneutics
Dissertation: A Critical Reading of the Epistemic, Non-Jurisprudential, Foundations of Ayatollah Khomeini’s Political Thought
- M.A. University College London, Human Rights (Distinction), Nov 2009
Thesis: States as Moral Agents of Human Rights Standards
- M.A. Imam Sadeq University, Political Science and Islamic Studies (Distinction), Jan 1998
Thesis: “Critical Rationality” as a Methodological Device for Criticizing Normative Facets of Political Theories
Fellowships, Honors, Awards, and Grants
- The Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW):
KNAW Visiting Professorship at Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, Jan – Dec 2014.
- Danish Institute for Human Rights (DIHR):
Visiting Fellowship, Oct – Nov 2014.
- Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIAS/KNAW):
EURIAS Fellowship at NIAS, 2012–2013.
- University of Cambridge:
- Senior Fellowship at Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities (CRASSH), Jan – Jul 2011.
- Associate Senior Fellowship at Centre for Governance and Human Rights (CGHR), Jan – Jul 2011.
- Membership and By-Fellowship (Honor) at Churchill College, Jan – Dec 2011.
- University College London (UCL):
Departmental Fellowship, 2008–2009.
- Kulturwissenschaftliches Institut (KWI):
Grant, Summer Academy, 2007.
- Workgroup Islam and Modernity, Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin (WiKo – German Institute for Advanced Studies):
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Workgroup Islam and Modernity, 2003–2004.
- Grant, Summer Academy, 2003.